Friday, June 24, 2011

Hula Hoop Sprinkler...

So today the boys and I got a little innovative.  I was getting fun summer ideas on the internet last night and ran across a sprinkler made from PVC pipe in the shape of a square.  I went out and got some PVC from Habitat for Humanity and then got the fittings from the hardware store.  The boys enjoyed sawing the pipe and drilling the holes with the electric drill.  The trouble is we made it too big so the water did not spray very high.  So we went back to the drawing board and made it smaller by sawing off the longer sides (ours had turned into a rectangle) We tried again....but I drilled too many holes - so again the spray was not high enough for our liking.  We ended up duct taping several of the holes until we were sort of satisfied with the result.

So where does the hula hoop come in you ask?

While I was laying in bed after my nap later in the afternoon it occurred to me that the PVC pipe that I had used to make my hulahoops was the same thickness as the sprinkler!  So I got up and sawed apart one of my smaller hoops and put the t-joint and hose connector on it, drilled some holes and voila!  The best sprinkler we have ever had.  Kinda wish I had thought of it earlier - but then I guess we would have missed out on all the experimenting and science of water pressure ;)  Justin and I are thinking of making more and selling them to the kids in the complex.  Unfortunately my camera needs its batteries charged and my iPhone also needed charging at the time - so no pics :( but I will post some of the completed project later.  Just too bad I don't have pics of the boys sawing and drilling - cuz that was so fun :)

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, you're a regular handy woman! :) I might have to show this idea to my dad. He's handy.

    And good sprinklers are hard to come by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handy woman...ha! I broke one of Hessel's drill bits....woops ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hula hoop idea!! Can't wait to see the pictures--how fun!

    ReplyDelete